Monday, July 10, 2017

Pity moves to Passion

Today's Gospel Verses
Matthew 9:32-38

Our focus
"At the sight of the crowds, his heart was moved with pity for them because they were troubled and abandoned, like sheep without a shepherd.

Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is abundant but the laborers are few; so ask the master of the harvest to send out laborers for his harvest.""

We have heard that thoughts become words, words become actions, actions become character. In this particular verse, what really moved me is the word "pity". Pity is a feeling or emotion that is a reaction on the sufferings or dire circumstances of others. In this verse, Jesus was moved with pity because he saw in the crowds their being troubled and abandoned. Let us remember that in those times Israel was under the Roman rule and they were without prophets or righteous priests to guide or rule over them. And just prior to this verse, they were without power over the demons and sicknesses that haunted and afflicted them. 

Our Christian calling is to be like Jesus -- to think, feel, and do as Jesus did. As a struggling Christian, today, I learn from Jesus. In understanding my motivations and passions, I learned that I have not been moved with enough pity for those under me, for the lost and for those drifting away. The reason why I often fail as a leader, as a brother. Today, I pray the Holy Spirit will lead me to be moved with pity for the lost, the troubled and the abandoned so that I will be more passionate for my ministry. 

To fellow leaders in Christian communities, let pity move us to pray for more laborers in the vineyard. Let pity move us to wake up each day excited to find the lost, assist the troubled, heal the sick, and guide the drifters back to the sheepfolds. Let pity drive our passion to serve as Jesus did. 

God bless us all today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment